Shonan International School upholds the following standards to create global citizens.
Shonan International School is committed to providing children with a bilingual education program with a strong commitment to Japanese language, culture, and curriculum while developing commitment to intercultural understanding
1.The Japanese program aims to raise awareness of Japanese culture and is taught on the same principles as the international curriculum.
2. The program incorporates world-class standards for learning that encourages students to actively participate in the learning process.
3. Students spend time under the influence of teachers and parents and develop time to develop self-concepts and values. These interactions affect them throughout their lives.
4. As a school – we provide an environment for learning through issues and issues that will affect our students’ future lives, from the issues that society currently faces.
5. Teachers,Students and Parents develop positive social skills to help students interact with peers and adults.
6. Students learn collaborative, problem-solving skills and develop leadership, recognizing kindness and empathy for others.
SIS employs the Gaiety Method, a discovery-based learning method which allows for the practical application of the 4Rs. Discovery-based learning places the child at the center of the learning process, and is driven by what interests and motivates them. Educators cretae learning goals for their students, and create classes which directly reflect student interests. Learning based on “discovery” focuses on the implications of themes and is instilled more naturally in the child, instead of emphasizing how much factual knowledge is being memorized.
We believe that co-active dialogue with the adults around them, who have their own beliefs and values, are essential in turning student thoughts and ideas into output. This co-active dialogue creates Encouragement
(instilling “courage”), which leads to motivation and energy.
Encouragement should be speech based on the recipient’s emotions and thoughts, which differentiates it from speech solelyy based on praise.
Shonan International School
The Shonan area, surrounded by both mountains and the ocean, is blessed with ample opportunities to interact with nature. Many of our programs encourage our students to explore and expand their interests, of which many can be found in the natural environment that Shonan provides. We have chosen Shonan as our home, so our students may fully utilize and expand on their curiosities. The area is also easily accessible to Tokyo, and the residential environment is very favorable to families.
Please feel to contact us.